Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wednesdays Aren't What They Once Were

In the beginning of the month I resigned my position in the small town public library. I no longer have a mellow evening spent in the children's section of the library. Today was the first day where my other part-time job pulled me in on a Wednesday. It was tortuous. People are miserable in the middle of the week. Seriously miserable. And I am not talking about the customers.

I resigned the position in order to take a part-time weekend job working in an academic library. Now it appears my Friday and Saturday evenings will be spent in the comfort of a library (a beautiful library on a very traditional style campus) but I am not sure they will be quiet and mellow. I am sure I will enjoy every minute of them. One thing for sure, I will be doing more walking.

The main library I will be working has four floors and a mezzanine. I will also sub in the other library, which is located across the campus. I am not able to wear sneakers like I was at the public library and only had the dress shoes I wear at the bank. The dress shoes are all cheap (poor college student with a mortgage) and are just comfortable enough to stand or sit all day in. Not walk a few miles. I kind of knew this before hand but I now have empirical evidence that they are not designed for much more than keeping my feet within the parameters of the bank's dress code. After being forced to wear flip flops for three days after my training at the library, I ordered shoes online. I barely buy shoes in person. I never buy shoes online. I was desperate and did not have time to go shopping.

I bought two pairs via Amazon of walking flats (aka sneakers designed to look like flats). I have worn one pair two days already and am fairly certain they will be up to the test of a shift at the library but I might have to swap out the inserts for my orthotics (I am not that old but I have weird feet and I overprotate like a mofo). The other pair arrived today. I was very worried I bought the wrong size but I went by the comments and ordered my normal size (I wore a pair of sneakers from this manufacturer years ago and they notoriously ran a bit smaller). I wore them only for a few moments but I am in love. They are as close to being barefoot as I can get and still have a bit of cushion (if need be my othotics will also fit in this pair) and they are cute and cheap!


No comments: