Saturday, August 10, 2013

Looking for Motivation in All the Wrong Places

Nope, don't see any motivation here either.

I have looked in the laundry room (also known as our basement), my kindle, Facebook, the stack of papers and books strewn across my desk, my unmade bed, and my Netflix queue, my yarn stash, and even sifted threw the community of dust bunnies under my bed (I was looking for my other flip flop) but all to no avail because it is after 2:30 pm and I have found no motivation whatsoever today. Motivation has been missing from my house for nearly a full week. I haven't seen it since last Monday evening when I went on a cleaning spree and nearly poisoned myself with bleach fumes. Fun times.

So coincidentally, it has been nearly a week since my summer semester has ended. The lack of motivation means I still have not crossed much off of my downtime to do list. I have started to knit several projects. I had purchased a hat kit more than two years ago (seriously, I just realized it has been that long). I had made several attempts to begin the hat but it was my first foray into the world of knitting in the round and I had difficulty casting on the first row just right so I kept putting it off for when I had more time. I am nearly done with the hat but as of yet it is still unfinished (surprisingly, it looks very hat like already). I have purchased all the right tools to start a baby blanket for a friend who is due in October (but most likely will give birth in September). I am planning to knit Ewe Ewe's Serenity baby blanket with a slight variation around the edge so that I can weave a thick red satin ribbon around the outside of the blanket (they are Philly fans and have done the baby's room in a sports theme, heavy on the Philly's memorabilia). I am just waiting for my circular needles to arrive via mail and then I can cast the blanket on.

I have also finally purchased the monster size 35 US (19mm) needles required for the throw blanket I have intended to make out of the stash of yarn my mother gave me several years ago. It was Lion's Brand Homespun yarn in the Tudor colorway (lot 99441.01). I am not a fan of acrylic yarns but it was free, I lkie the muted colors and it feels soft and plush. The pattern was also free. It was printed on the back of a skein wrapper. It is called Homespun Knit Waterfall Afghan (I hate that word "afghan." It is a very unattractive word and conjures up all kinds of hideous orange, mustard yellow, and brown geometric crocheted and scratchy nightmares from the seventies *shudder*). When I am done, hopefully, I will have a soft and cuddly throw that looks something like this picture below and is easy to wash (i.e. dog friendly). If I fail, or more likely if the acrylic yarn does not stay as plush and soft in texture as it feels now, then Seamus gets another dog blanket for his crate. A win-win in my book.



Look at that it is several hundred words later and still, I have not found any motivation. I think I have to call out the big guns and make a list. But first, I have to get a shower and run to Auto Parts with the man so he can purchase brakes for his truck. Perhaps his motivation to get things done will jump start my stalled weekend.

No comments: