Friday, May 24, 2013

It Has Been a Long Week

I am writing this post late on a Friday night...it never use to be late for me on a Friday night but now that I am apparently old and decrepit, it is. It has been one hell of a week. I have focus issues with my newest courses and have veered slightly off course (ha, get it...off course on my courses. I amuse me) and will have to spend my Memorial Day weekend playing catch up. I did not know what to do with two full days off back to back, so it is just as well.

The man plans to be swinging from the trees with his new arborist gear. I will be out there watching him work. We will also try and squeeze in a family outing with the in-laws this weekend too.



In other news, I am currently reading The Black Stiletto by Raymond Benson. I had issues with the text early on but am warming up to the tale a bit as I continue reading. The book is about a man who after placing his aging mother in a home for Alzheimer patients, discovers a secret room in their old home. In this room are several objects, some specialized clothing and a set of diaries which reveal a secret about his mother he never knew before...she was a super hero! As the man struggles between disbelief and wonder, an old enemy of his mother resurfaces looking for revenge, and the whole family may be in danger.

I love the idea of finding out your seventy eight year old mother, the woman who barely knows who you are much less who she is, was a super hero. The problem I am having with the book is the swinging between the present day and the diary, mostly because the diary dialog does not sound like a young woman from the fifties is narrating. The diary sections are a little contrived early on but like I said, I am warming up to the whole story as I go because the diary does help flesh out the past of this once proud, ass-kicking woman. Another issue I am having is that after the first few diary sets (this is as far as I have read so far), we still do not get the son's perspective on what he is reading about his mother's history. I think a little interaction between the diary reveal and the son, as a reader, would have been a nice touch. I am intrigued enough to cut The Black Stiletto some slack though and promise to reserve judgement until I have finished the book (I can't say I am not making snide remarks on the notes in my Kindle, I am not that big of a person).

Anyhow, that is enough rambling for one evening. I hope everyone in the states enjoys their Memorial Day weekend. And for some readers who are not living in the states, I hope you have an awesome weekend too.

P.S. Don't forget to hug a veteran (only after asking them nicely if you may do so that is :)

No comments: