Wednesday, April 03, 2013

An Odd Thought...

...has just occurred to me. I have a forty plus minute commute to one of my jobs. My other job takes me ten minutes of travel to get to it. I usually arrive at the one with a shorter commute time in a huff. I find the amount of stupidity on the roads really aggravating so this is not that surprising. What is a complete surprise is that I have yet to arrive at the one with a much longer commute in a pissy mood. At first I thought perhaps all the stupidty is concentrated in the southern end of the county. But I have proof this is not true, not true at all. In Lancaster County, the stupidity is well dispersed amongst the population, as I am sure it is everywhere. So what's the difference?

I have always looked for a job close to my home for reasons of saving gas, convenience, and because I thought my head would explode if I had to drive more than twenty minutes to go to a job I may or may not like. Perhaps the fact that I love my job with the longer commute makes a difference? Hmm-mm, maybe but I think it might be something else.

Since I work in a children's library, I have been trying to become more familiar with some of the literature so that I can be more effective with reader advisory questions. Since I have limited time to read between working two jobs and going to school part time, I found it was easiest to accomplish this by listening to books on audio while I drive. I find this to be very enjoyable and relaxing. So much so that I (mostly) ignore the blatant stupidity right in front of me on the road and just enjoy my own personal story time. I think someone should do a study on the effects of audio books and stress levels while driving.

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday, I am off for a nice long drive with the CD 5 and 6 of Lost Hero by Rick Riordan as read by Joshua Swanson.


9780307711779

No comments: